Thursday, February 7, 2013

Well, hello there!

So...uh...I just start talking, right?

Normally, I'm never at a loss for words. Never. Which is why I thought, "Hey, I need something to fill up my days! Why don't I blog?" But I just spent the last hour staring at this blank page, wondering how one starts blogging. (Actually, that's not completely true. I spent the last 3 days staring at templates, layouts, images, fonts, background colors, etc., etc., etc. wondering if I was even capable of blogging.)

I guess I'll start with the formalities: Hi. I'm Amy. I'm like most of you - perfectly well-behaved, adorable kiddos; a husband who is the next thing closest to God and adores me; a marriage that is perfect; a totally put-together professional who never leaves the house with a hair out of place. You know how it is.

Actually, my reality is more REAL than that.

My kids are adorable, but they are a challenge. Jack has been in a gifted program since he was in the 3rd grade, but I'm here to tell you that the Curse of the Gifted Child is not a myth. He is smarter than any human being should be allowed to be, but he is prone to daydreams, is scattered, and is approaching his teen years. Some days I wonder if I'll make it out of these years alive. Some days I wonder if he will.

Sammy is funny, bright, sweet, and sharp as a tack. And he's ADHD. Any parent of an ADHD child will tell you there's a special place in heaven for us parents, the teachers, coaches, and other adults who work with our kids. In addition, Sam is starting to show signs of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) and anxiety. Navigating these waters seems impossible at times, but we're trying.

And I do have a husband who adores me, and I him, but there are times we don't like each other very much. We have been married 15 years this year and have been together 17 years. We both love each other deeply, madly, and truly, but we have had our share of bumps in the road. Neither one of us perfect or always right (but I'm usually more right!) but we're perfect and right for each other. Most days.

I've been a professional for the past 16 years, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I would rather sleep in than put on makeup, and rather drink wine than work out, rather wear long pants than shave my legs. I am sarcastic to a fault, use (often inappropriate) humor to distract myself from real issues, and use language that has made truckers blush - literally.

But I'm real. I'm honest. Most of the time, I can see the glass as half full. And if I care about you, I won't hesitate to beat the shit out of anyone who hurts or tries to hurt you. My kids call that protective side of me "Momma Bear", and it comes out for my husband, my kids, my family, and my friends.

In my blog, I'm hoping to be that lady who really IS just like you. I also hope to be a resource for other moms of ADHD kids. My promise to you is that I won't pull any punches. My life is beautiful, but it's not without its blemishes - just like yours, I suspect. I hope that sharing my parenting, marriage, and family challenges helps you feel like there's someone in your corner. And honestly, y'all are cheap therapy.

I'll probably also have a few posts about how to take out a red wine stain (white wine is bullshit - doesn't work, or at least it never did for me), why some things DO taste better than skinny feels, why monokinis are the work of the devil, and I'll probably throw out a few f-bombs as I do it. If I'm going to let you into my world, you need to be able to take a few variations on the word "fuck" or you won't last long.

Nice to meet you, blogosphere.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE this Amy!!!!! Seth shared the link with me. I can't wait to hear more about your family. I always need more variations on the word fuck! Looking forward to reading more;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Momma Bear:) You do have a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon shared your link on FB and I'm loving your honesty! Also, red wine is the only way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter what the question is...the answer is ALWAYS red wine. ;) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Oh, my. You sound just like me. Thank you for being real, and not attempting to project an image of flawless mom-ness. Best of luck with your two amazing kiddos!

    ReplyDelete